The Journey to a Little One to Call Our Own

One gal's experiences dealing with IF, pregnancy, the birth of our first son, parenthood, and doing it all over again with our second son... here is our journey.


Monday, July 9, 2012

Hot Summer Days

I know some of you must think I am crazy for loving this great state where I live.  Minnesota - land of 10,000 lakes.  


It's also the land of extreme seasons - we truly get the best of all four of them.  Winters are damn cold (I know this is probably what you all think of when you think of northern states), autumns are gorgeous and full of crisp air and beautiful colors, springtime is green, sometimes rainy, and fresh.  And then there are summers.  The past two weeks have been 95-110 degrees and HUMID.  So hot, in fact, that most people don't even go outside... everyone stays inside with the air conditioning.  


I know I might be nerdy to be talking about the weather, but seriously... it has been HOT.  I am not complaining whatsoever.  We deal with so much snow and ice in the winter that I will take 100 degrees any day over the cold, dreary winter days.


Okay, so on to new topics.


Thanks to everyone for their kind notes about my mother... she is still in the hospital, and not leaving for awhile.  She is one sick lady.  She will be okay eventually, but is in for more surgeries and then some intensive physical rehabilitation.  It's so sad to see a woman who was otherwise healthy and mobile be committed to a hospital bed because of an infection that anyone could get at anytime.  It's so scary and so sad.  Life is so incredibly fragile, and I am reminded of that every time I see how weak my poor mama is.  Thanks for continuing to keep her in your thoughts and prayers :)


I had an appointment with my OB today.  It was my first official prenatal appointment.  We heard the heartbeat :)  It absolutely makes my day to hear that beautiful beating heart and is the most reassuring sound in the world.  Today, he/she had a heart rate at 173bpm.  It seemed high to me, but our midwife reassured us that it's perfect and there are no concerns.  


They also changed my due date based on my last period.  I know what day I ovulated, and based on my early ultrasound, I was tracking at 9 weeks, 6 days.  However, they prefer to count from my last period and remeasure with my next ultrasound.  And, so, they changed my due date to February 1.  This means that, God-willing, if everything works out and this baby is healthy, he/she will be born at the end of January.  I am opting for a repeat C-section (more on this decision in another post for another day), and my doctor likes to deliver repeat C-sections at 38 or 39 weeks.  So, looks like we will have a January baby - that is, if we are lucky enough that this baby is healthy, can stick it out with me, and enter this world to meet his/her big brother Max :)


With the recalculation of my due date, this means I am 10 weeks, 3 days.  I need to get the NT scan and 12-week ultrasound completed by 12.5 weeks, so we will be going back in within the next couple weeks to see our little bean again.  And then we will start to share our big news IRL.  I am excited, but scared and nervous... the feelings of infertility just keep pinging away.  I doubt they will ever go away.  Damn you, IF.  But, on the other hand, thank you, IF, for showing me how very sensitive and precious life really is.  I am blessed to have my little Max and this new little life growing inside of me.


I hope everyone has been well and is enjoying the summer!


XOXO
Mrs. D

4 comments:

  1. So excited that your little bean is growing and doing so well. It has been hot here in Wyoming too, but I prefer the heat to the cold and snow any day personally. Thinking about your mom and praying for a speedy, healthy recovery for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a heartbeat!!! :) And I opted for a repeat c-section as well, I had too many friends with horror stories of trying for vbacs. That's some scary crap. Hope it cools down for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the heartbeat :) I hope you mom starts feeling better soon...

    ReplyDelete