The Journey to a Little One to Call Our Own

One gal's experiences dealing with IF, pregnancy, the birth of our first son, parenthood, and doing it all over again with our second son... here is our journey.


Monday, June 13, 2011

31 Weeks!

Ahh, summer is finally here. We Minnesotans wait for this all year. It's the reason we bear through horribly cold, icy winters. Our seasons are gorgeous. And summer is definitely here. I love being able to wear flowing, cute sundresses with my continuing-to-expand belly. So fun :)

We had a wedding this weekend... more about that in a post this week. Mr. D was basically cornered by a guy we know to see what he would share about our journey getting pregnant. It's a post for another day - something I still need to wrap my head around, but the moral of the story is, once you struggle from infertility, you're a lifelong survivor. It's hard to hear the stories of others struggling through it. But although we've achieved a so-far-healthy-knock-on-wood pregnancy (and, God-willing, a happy, beautiful, healthy child), IF is still there. I'll post more later.

So, for my 31-week update....

Best Moment of the Week: Getting a tour of the hospital and labor & delivery area as part of Baby Class #3. I didn't think that we would really care one way or the other about the tour, but the moment we got up to the 2nd floor where labor & delivery is (called the Family Birth Center), I was in shock. Happy, smiling shock, but still shock that we were actually touring the place where our son will be born. Crazy. The hospital was built 2 years ago, so the amenities are beautiful and obviously very new. Mr. D said it looked like a Vegas lounge area at one of the fancy hotels, and I kind of agree. I am excited that we will be spending time in such a great place with a great staff of nurses and doctors.

Entertaining Question/Comment of the Week: "So, if he were to arrive tomorrow, are you guys all ready?" Hell, no! You'd think that after trying to get pregnant for so long and awaiting this miracle for the time period we have, we would be completely set, just twiddling our thumbs and ready for me to go into labor. And I guess we are - mentally. But we still need a TON of stuff - and there's a few key decisions/to-do items to check of the list before little man arrives. We will be busy in the next few weeks :)

Obsessions: List making and getting ready for my showers :) My sister is throwing me a shower on 6/26, the first of several, and I can't wait!

What I am Most Looking Forward to This Week: We have a fun wedding coming up on Saturday, and it will be fun to see people we haven't seen since December (I was about 6 weeks pregnant).

Also, Mr. D and I get to take a tour of the hospital tomorrow night during Baby Class #3 - we are both looking forward to getting acquainted with everything :)

What I Miss the Most: Being able to see the tops of my thighs and my crotch. Hey, a girl's gotta shave, right?! It's impossible for me to see "down-there", so I've been strategically using a double sided mirror. It's doing the trick for now :)

Symptoms: Swelling went away for the most part (thanks to a 20 degree shift in temperature). Still having Braxton Hicks, but nothing worrysome. I am peeing more frequently due to the weight of little man on my bladder. Otherwise, I am pretty much symptom-free... I've been sleeping wonderfully (I think I am just really tired) and feeling amazing. I am praying that it lasts till the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment