Had a Dr. appointment this morning, and guess what? Dilated to ZERO... still. It's a bit frustrating, knowing that we've planned our lives around this grand finale that was supposed to culminate no later than this past Saturday, but alas, that hasn't happened. I have gone through many emotions of being angry, pissed, sad, happy, and now, just content. I can't control this, and it's out of my hands... totally up to God to decide for us.
But - as for the good news. There is now a plan. Assuming we see no action (hard contractions, water breaking, etc.) in the next 48 hours, we go back for another appointment on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. We receive an ultrasound, which Mr. D and I are kind of excited for... we haven't seen our little guy since 20 weeks. They are going to measure amniotic fluid and size of the baby. Then, another exam right afterwards to see if I am dilating yet.
Then on Sunday, if I haven't gone into labor, we are being induced. We need to go in to the hospital at 4 p.m. and start up the process. My Dr. is working Monday and said if we do induce on Sunday, we'd likely have the baby on Monday, August 22. I have mixed feelings about all of this, but at least it's a plan, and I am happy about finally knowing when this is all going to go down. Even if I go into labor in the next 4 days, I am cool with it... as long as I know there was a plan in place to execute.
If we do need to be induced on Sunday, here is what I am sad about:
- Not experiencing the, "holy cow, honey, I think it's time to go to the hospital" moment - although this would freak me out and not be easy to manage, there's something about spontaneously knowing "it's time" that seems like kind of a thrill
- Not allowing my body to naturally go into labor. However, I have learned that my body is not cooperating at this point, and we need to jump-start it. For someone well-versed in the trenches of infertility - I am not surprised that my body won't do what it's supposed to.
- The elongated, painful experience of being induced. Just sounds like a long, tiring, exhausting, painful process... wish my body could get us a little ways there (ie: dilating just a bit) before needing medical attention.
- Increased chance of C-section. I am praying and hoping that I do not need a C-section, but of course, whatever it takes for our little guy to be born healthy and alive is most important. My Dr. said that, on average, there's a 25% chance of C-section with inductions, and about a 20% chance of C-section on non-induced labors. So, although chances are increased... it's not increased that much. I'm going to try my hardest to deliver naturally.
And here's what I am happy about:
- It will be kind of nice to wake up on Sunday, have breakfast, get everything loaded in the car, take a nice, long shower, get ready, and peacefully drive to the hospital to start the process.
- Starting labor over the weekend qualifies Mr. D for another full-week of paid paternity leave, so that would be nice. He will take two weeks, and then the next Monday after is Labor Day... no work. So, we could maximize his time off. If baby is born before the weekend, Mr. D would lose out on some vacation time we are saving for later in the year when I go back to work.
- Mr. D was born on October 22, and his favorite number of all-time is 22. He considers it is lucky number, and he wore it on all of his sports jerseys. When Dr. told us that if I am induced on Sunday, that means chances are very likely that he would be born on August 22, you should have seen Mr. D's eyes light up. So cute :)