Definitely not the way I expected Max's birth to end, but after nearly 30 hours of labor and only dilating to a 5, it was a done deal.
I never started Max's labor thinking that it would end in a C-section, but, after being in labor for that long with my cervix starting to swell and actually do the opposite of dilating, there wasn't much of a choice.
And, truly... it was not bad at all. The C-section itself, the recovery afterwards... it all was not how the books paint the picture. I was warned about picking my newborn up too quickly, climbing stairs, exercising... you name it. But the first day home from the hospital, I climbed our 16-stair staircase up to the nursery, back downstairs, and repeated a few times... not painful at all. I was back to running a few miles within a couple weeks after the surgery... again, not a big deal.
So, my Doctor has asked me the question about my preferences for this birth. Do I prefer to attempt delivery, or should we schedule a C-section?
No hesitation here: sign me up for another C-section.
We made this decision very early on in my pregnancy for a few reasons. First, the chances that I could actually progress and deliver this time are lower than the average mother. A lot of VBACs result in an eventual emergency surgery (especially those that occur within a few years of the first time the mother had a C-section), and I'd prefer not to be rushed into emergency surgery because the baby is having trouble, my uterus ruptures, or anything else.
Second, my baby will stay inside of me - stress-free - as long as possible before I am cut open and he is brought into this world. So many benefits to that.
And, third... this one may be selfish... Mr. D and I think it sounds INCREDIBLY peaceful to wake up early, have plans for who is going to watch Max, have everything situated, drive to the hospital, have a quick surgery, and by mid-morning, be snuggling with our new little baby. Maybe it's because I am a crazy planner, but I think it sounds amazing to have everything planned out and know what and when to expect everything to go down...
... which is why I went ahead and scheduled Baby #2's big arrival date. I will pause here and say the most eerie thing about having a repeat C-section is scheduling your child's birthday... kind of weird.
Our C-section is scheduled for Wednesday, January 30 at 7:30 a.m. I need to be at the hospital by 5:45 for surgery prep, and baby will be born by 9:00. I will be out of recovery by 10:00, and Mr. D and I plan to be sipping on coffees and enjoying our new bundle by mid-morning.
Of course, our little man may choose to come early (although I doubt it... Max was 4 days late, and was not even ready to come yet) - at which time, we'd need to decide if we want to try a VBAC or do an emergency C-section. I am not sure what I would do at that point... not even sure I need a plan for that situation. If it happens, we'll see what my body is doing at the time, and decide from there.
I know so many people have different opinions on this, but thought I would share my plan. As long as our little man enters the world safely, that's all I can pray for.