The Journey to a Little One to Call Our Own

One gal's experiences dealing with IF, pregnancy, the birth of our first son, parenthood, and doing it all over again with our second son... here is our journey.


Thursday, October 4, 2012

To 'C' or Not to 'C'... That is the Question

C-section.  

Definitely not the way I expected Max's birth to end, but after nearly 30 hours of labor and only dilating to a 5, it was a done deal.

I never started Max's labor thinking that it would end in a C-section, but, after being in labor for that long with my cervix starting to swell and actually do the opposite of dilating, there wasn't much of a choice.

And, truly... it was not bad at all.  The C-section itself, the recovery afterwards... it all was not how the books paint the picture.  I was warned about picking my newborn up too quickly, climbing stairs, exercising... you name it.  But the first day home from the hospital, I climbed our 16-stair staircase up to the nursery, back downstairs, and repeated a few times... not painful at all.  I was back to running a few miles within a couple weeks after the surgery... again, not a big deal.

So, my Doctor has asked me the question about my preferences for this birth.  Do I prefer to attempt delivery, or should we schedule a C-section?

No hesitation here: sign me up for another C-section.

We made this decision very early on in my pregnancy for a few reasons.  First, the chances that I could actually progress and deliver this time are lower than the average mother.  A lot of VBACs result in an eventual emergency surgery (especially those that occur within a few years of the first time the mother had a C-section), and I'd prefer not to be rushed into emergency surgery because the baby is having trouble, my uterus ruptures, or anything else.

Second, my baby will stay inside of me - stress-free - as long as possible before I am cut open and he is brought into this world.  So many benefits to that.

And, third... this one may be selfish... Mr. D and I think it sounds INCREDIBLY peaceful to wake up early, have plans for who is going to watch Max, have everything situated, drive to the hospital, have a quick surgery, and by mid-morning, be snuggling with our new little baby.  Maybe it's because I am a crazy planner, but I think it sounds amazing to have everything planned out and know what and when to expect everything to go down...

... which is why I went ahead and scheduled Baby #2's big arrival date.  I will pause here and say the most eerie thing about having a repeat C-section is scheduling your child's birthday... kind of weird.

Our C-section is scheduled for Wednesday, January 30 at 7:30 a.m.  I need to be at the hospital by 5:45 for surgery prep, and baby will be born by 9:00.  I will be out of recovery by 10:00, and Mr. D and I plan to be sipping on coffees and enjoying our new bundle by mid-morning.

Of course, our little man may choose to come early (although I doubt it... Max was 4 days late, and was not even ready to come yet) - at which time, we'd need to decide if we want to try a VBAC or do an emergency C-section. I am not sure what I would do at that point... not even sure I need a plan for that situation.  If it happens, we'll see what my body is doing at the time, and decide from there.

I know so many people have different opinions on this, but thought I would share my plan.  As long as our little man enters the world safely, that's all I can pray for.

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you. But my first labor was 28 hours before they called it, and I was all "it's about time!" LOL. I really wanted to try a vbac with my second, but I had a few friends (who I personally know) who have ruptured during vbac. The worst one, her first child was emergency c, then two vbacs, and on her last child she had a rupture during vbac and the doctor was all "I have 30 seconds before you both die" and sliced her open without any pain meds at all. She's a good friend that I worked with for about 7 years, and I knew her when it happened. Still gives me nightmares. She's just grateful they're both alive, me, I know it's a small chance, but having seen it up close... NO THANK YOU! :P Anyway, the most awkward thing for me with my 2nd c-section was that they shaved my lady bits while I was totally awake and not drugged. I felt like a poodle sitting there, with some lady with an electric razor going to town on me. Haha. I guess they don't go down too far, but it was still very strange. But the good news, recovery from a second c-section is about twice as easy and fast. Seriously, it was SO MUCH easier. I still feel sad about "missing out" on labor, but mainly I'm glad we're all here safely. **sorry for the novel.** ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say do what works for you, and it sounds like this is a perfect plan for you and your family. January 30th sounds like a wonderful birthday to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do whatever is easiest for you and you family. I think it would be nice to know when your baby is coming! I didn't have a c-section, and honestly if I did have to have one, I would be scared to death just because the books do make it sound so painful and exhausting. Glad things are going well for you and baby boy!

    ReplyDelete