The Journey to a Little One to Call Our Own

One gal's experiences dealing with IF, pregnancy, the birth of our first son, parenthood, and doing it all over again with our second son... here is our journey.


Monday, May 23, 2011

Baby Craze... or, Should I Say, Craziness

Now, before I start this post, I want to put it out there that I am very excited that we are welcoming our first child, and I am doing everything I can do prepare myself mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically for the transition to mommyhood.

But can I be honest? It's not ALL I think about. Sure, I am excited, but there's things I do other than focus 100% of my time and energy getting ready for this little guy. And, while I want to do what's best for my baby (who doesn't?), I am okay with not being uber-prepared and over-the-top with my baby knowledge. I am cool with learning as we go.

The reason I am saying this is because I continue to get advice from moms who have "been there, done that". Everything from baby bottles to carseats, burping techniques to baby lotions. And I never steer clear of the advice - I take it in stride, thank them for their thoughts, and choose whether or not I want to apply any of their recommendations.

But what really kills me is how incredibly stressful it must be for those women to be super-opinionated and informed about EVERYTHING that has to do with having a baby. There are seriously women who I think went a little baby-crazy and are over-informed. Isn't part of the journey learning as you go, and not being over-the-top with knowing EVERYTHING there is to know about having a baby and raising a child? I don't know... maybe I am blowing it out of proportion, but it's starting to have an effect on me.

Like today... I was asked by a co-worker (mother to a 4-month old) if I am planning to breastfeed. My response? I am not really sure yet - I am sure we'll figure it out soon. The look of utter shock and disappointment I received in return was priceless.

Another example... what kind of diapers are we going to use? My answer: probably Pampers... they came recommended by a couple people and it's between that or Huggies. The response: well, did you even research different brands or cloth diapering? My response: Pretty sure cloth diapering is not happening for many different reasons, and no, I haven't researched every brand out there. But I am sure he will be just fine in the diapers we choose.

Don't get me wrong. I know there is a TON to learn, and I am sure looking back in a year, I will know how I could have prepared myself more. But, isn't that what it's all about? Learning along the way, morphing to what your child needs? I am all for preparing for things in life, but I refuse to have baby craziness...

No comments:

Post a Comment