The Journey to a Little One to Call Our Own

One gal's experiences dealing with IF, pregnancy, the birth of our first son, parenthood, and doing it all over again with our second son... here is our journey.


Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pre-pregnancy Weight?

As I've mentioned, I've been reading a lot. Something that I've come across in my research is a concept that I think is really interesting... pre-pregnancy weight, meaning the pounds women put on as they are attempting to conceive. Think about the Freshmen-10 that you were scared shitless to gain your first year in college... kinda the same concept.

I've totally noticed I've put on weight. Probably 10 pounds or so since December (I rarely weigh myself, but can tell when my clothes fit differently). Ten pounds on me doesn't look all that different on me to most people though - being 5'7", it's one of the nice things about being a taller woman. Ten pounds doesn't look like ten pounds on a 5'2" woman. But regardless, I've put on a little bit of weight.

The more I thought about it in my own situation, it totally makes sense. It's not that I've stopped exercising and became a couch potato eating Doritos every night (although that does sound good), but it's almost like I've been trying to prep my body for a baby. I can't explain it, but I know subconsiously I've been holding out on as much exercise as I should get because I'm trying to "lay low" and relax. I smirk at this, thinking, the cardinal rule of becoming pregnant is to be healthy - in your relationships, body, mind, etc. Maybe I need to focus on the 'body' part of that equation.

So, what did I do this weekend, after I came to the realization that I am indeed packing on the pre-pregnancy pounds? In true Mrs. D style - balls to the walls, so to speak - I worked it this weekend. Oh, yeah, I felt it afterwards, too. Miles of outdoor running on Saturday, miles of outdoor running on Monday, golfing on Monday, lots of walks. I actually feel guilty right now that I am sitting at my computer, sipping on wine, and typing... i should be outside running!

So - my commitment to myself is to my own body, not only for a body that I hope to grow inside of me someday (although that would be a great outcome, too). At work, we focus on the five components of well-being, which I love (check it out... it's based on a great book/author - Well Being: The Five Essential Elements). Health, community, social, financial, and career are the components we work with at my workplace. At first glance, sure, it seems like I've got a good handle on these factors. But really... I could do better in all of these components.

And while I have plans in place to tackle almost all five, I am going to place special focus on the health component, which is made up of physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being. After all, it's not only really good for me and in my best interest, but our little one will benefit at some point, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment